10 September 2013

It all depends on who shows up [Police Pace 5K]

I didn't have high expectations for this race or low expectations for this race or, really, any expectations for this race. Thanks to Labor Day, I got in my 17 mile long run at the beginning of the week so I wouldn't have to stuff it in the same weekend as a race. Still, I wasn't tapered and I've been putting in 40+ mpw and this is hardly an A race, so - as much as I wanted to PR and secretly thought I could because I'm delusional like that - the race was not my best but it wasn't my worst (it's hard for the wheels to fall off during a 5K -- go out hard and fast and hang on and tell yourself that the faster you run the faster the pain is over).
The race was at nearby Centennial Park, and I wanted to get in a warm up, so I left early with plans to meet James and H at the race closer to the start. I got in an easy 2.5 mi around the lake, found friends/ coworkers, James and H, visited the port-o-potty (x2).

The Police Pace raises money for various charities in the community. This year a friend started Team Vickie to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, in honor of a friend and coworker who is fighting leukemia. Here is Team Vickie, pre race:



and my office:

After photos and good lucks everyone headed to the start.

And away we go! The first mile is almost totally downhill but then things get ugly hilly fast. It's a pretty course, running along Centennial Lake. It's better to run next to Centennial Lake then swim in it (sorry Colleen :( !)


 So I hit the first mile around 7:12 and I'm thinking I'm pretty awesome. Then I went up a few hills and felt less awesome. I really don't love this distance and I know this is wussy but it just HURTS so damn much. If run right every race hurts at some point but a 5K hurts from the moment the guns goes off until you cross the finish line. Plus there's less room for error. Give me a 10 miler over a 5K any day.


My PR for the 5K is 22:54 so I wasn't super close to that. I was a little bummed (have been spoiled with several solid races this year) but then they called my name for third in my AG and woohooo!

If I was still in my 20s or in my 40s I would have been second in my AG. Ha!
(I may or may not have asked James if he counted how many women in their thirties crossed before me. He told me that he actually tried to count but it's hard to guess ages. He totes gets me).

I went up on stage and got my medal and brought H with me, balloon in hand, natch.

 
and then we went to brunch at Double T because brunch is awesome and truly is the best meal of the day. I had an omlette and H had pancakes with lots of syrup and it was a good day.

Stats:

POLICE PACE 5K
Overall: 71/ 678
Women: 9/ 302
AG: 3/ 63

Oh, and then H ended up in the Baltimore Sun! He's wearing his run fast, mommy shirt



(also I realized two days ago I have a half marathon this weekend. yup)

No comments:

Post a Comment